AMUSF UPHOLSTERY QUALIFICATIONS
The Association of Master Upholsterers and Soft Furnishers qualifications are based on good practical upholstery skills. These qualifications may lead to employment within the industry or with additional practice may lead to you starting your own small business.
The qualifications are offered at Stage 2 and Stage 3 and are stuctured in such a way as to consolidate learning, so that there is an understanding as to why something is done, not just how it is done. Traditional upholstery is a craft that cannot be learnt overnight. Good quality upholstery is achieved by eye, feel and judgement and these qualities are learnt over time and with practice. Every piece of furniture is different.
During this Stage 2 Upholstery course you will study and/or produce the following:
|• Basic Design Skills: sketching, colour co-ordination and scale drawings
• Health and Safety issues relevant to the work place
• Use of Tools and Materials
• Basic sewing machine skills
• Fabric pattern matching and trimmings
• An understanding of the Fire Regulations
• Upholster a Drop-in Seat using traditional methods
• Upholster a Stitched and Stuffed Seat
• Upholster a Stitched and Stuffed sprung side-chair
• Upholster a Sprung Arm
• Upholster a modern Stool or Headboard to be deep-buttoned
• Upholster a sprung TV/Fireside/Nursing Chair - traditionally
• Make a Boxed Cushion with Zip
• Produce a project on 20th Century Furniture Design
Once you have successfully completed Stage 2 you will have the option to go onto Stage 3. You will need to have successfully completed both levels in order to be considered qualified.
Good quality training is offered by our own AMUSF Approved Training Centres. To find more details about our individual Approved Training Centres and the courses they offer Click Here.